Monday, June 28, 2010

Doing Bad Things To You

Alrightly guys, it's time for another chapter of my banal life which I aim to make interesting!

Today's post will be about True Blood. Yes, the summer vampire series.

I feel like a hypocrite because of my scathing hate for vampires (It's Twilight's fault, seriously), but I do indeed like True Blood.

I had such a bias towards vampires that I kinda cringed whenever they came on screen because they were so pale. And up till then the only really pale fellow I'd seen on screen was Robert Pattinson. So, eeeh.

But one thing I thank True Blood for is for having a lead like Sookie. Sure, she's a typical blonde waitress. But she's plucky. And doesn't have a permanent expression of nonchalance on her face (hint hint). And she's telepathic and can shoot light out of her hands. And we're left wondering what the hell Sookie is. And she's not thin and sickly with no direction (*koff* Bella *koff*) She can stand up for herself, and she mouths off at Eric. In short, good personality, interesting to watch!


Speaking of Eric, yes, I've fallen into one of those hot-guy-on-TV-traps again. AGAIN. I told myself, no, Youlin, but did the brain listen? No. Bad brain. Bad bad brain.

But I don't think I'd be wrong in saying that Eric is intriguing. He just comes off as a bad-ass vampire at first, but slowly and bit by bit other facets of him are revealed. There's that element of vulnerability present when his maker Godric enters the scene. (For those not in the know, the maker is the one who well, mades the vampire).

Also I've found Eric's eyes to be quite emotive during scenes. Never mind that they're slightly red and puffy, if he's pissed off you'd know it. Character intonation is good too.

Plot wise, I like True Blood. Plenty of action, maybe a little slow at times but there's an element of danger and suspense. Not to mention LaFayette and Jason Stackhouse provide comic relief at times.

And sometimes I get annoyed because most of the vampires in the show speak like they're a hundred levels higher or something. But you know what? They are! I actually like the character concepts for vampires in the show, it has depth at least. It shows all the dirt and grit and it isn't afraid.

And that theme song is darn catchy. I've been singing "I wanna do bad things to you" to everything. My sister. My iPod. My computer. My dog.

On an unrelated side note, I've finished another pencil portrait. This time it's Zachary Quinto as Spock. (Sorry, I HAD to draw it) It was fun attempting the rather fleshy nose and bowl-cut hair. Thinking of drawing an Eric Northman next. Link to the bigger version: click HERE
Okie dokies folks! See ya nother time round!

No comments: