Wednesday, May 19, 2010

When in America!

Sometimes the USA disappoints me. It's not the politics. It's not the economy. It's not the obesity figures. It's the...
TV shows.

It's not that they're horrible. It's not that they are overhyped (well, maybe sometimes). It the fact that all my media and entertainment comes from the USA. I watch American movies. Obsess over American actors. I listen to American bands. I avidly follow American TV shows.

Ya hear that, fellow Malaysians? I know half or more of you are watching Glee! right now.

Oh, living in M'sia is great, but we miss out on some perks. For one thing, FAST online TV show streaming. If I lived in the USA and maybe missed an episode of Heroes or two, never mind, just log on and watch it on the computer!

..well, here, apparently I can't because the video is not in my"geographical region".

Geographical region my ass. Isn't Malaysia part of the geographical region called "the Earth"?

Heck, the way the companies broadcast TV shows here, some go on endless repeat of season 3 when the developed world is watching, like, um, Season 5? My favourite character might have died by the time we catch up.

Another thing: spelling. Now I like America. It's the land of the free. The funny. The interesting. But one thing I've gotta say, thanks to you guys my spelling is screwed half the time.

Since Malaysia was colonised by the British, it's been hammered into me since young that I spell words as 'coloUr', 'neighboUr' and 'cenTRE'. My childhood was great and unconfused, because I hadn't come across American books at that time.

Then one day, I saw: "COLOR". Oh, the horror. My English world was shattered. How could these people not spell it with a "U"? Oh, the mocking I received from that cruel cruel word!

It didn't stop there. Pretty soon it was "cenTER", "organiZation", and "neighBOR".

It was bad. Really bad. For the rest of my life I have been writing half my English in American.

Not only that, but how do you pronounce "schedule" anyway?

"Sher-dule" or "Scer-dule"? Huh? Huh? British or American?

Now I speak my English half the time in American too.

Oh well. Seeya folks. I have to go the shopping centre tomorrow with my neighbor so that he can color the walls. Hopefully he can clear his sher-dule for that.

To any USA citizens, sorry if I've offended you. I still like the USA very much.

No comments: